You are often forced to cancel a flight because of unforeseeable reasons. Whatever the situation – not getting a refund for a canceled flight can be upsetting. Therefore, you should acquaint yourself with the cancelation policy of your preferred airline. While some tickets are completely non-refundable, several others aren’t. You can take certain steps to ensure you receive a refund without any hassle. It will help you save your hard-earned money. If you frequently fly with Delta Airlines, here’s everything you should know about their cancelation policy.
What is the cancellation policy of Delta Airlines?
Have you booked a ticket on Delta Airlines and wish to cancel it? Then you must be aware of the cancellation policy of Delta Airlines. What are the provisions under which you can get a full refund? This page will answer all your queries and clear your doubts about Delta’s flight cancellation policy. Go through the individual sections below and find out everything about the cancellation process, cancellation fees, and tips to avoid paying cancellation charges.
Can I cancel my flight ticket with Delta Airlines and get a refund without paying any cancellation fee?
Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines for full refunds
The Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines allows passengers to cancel and refund their tickets without paying a cancellation fee if:
- The flight qualifies under a fee waiver because of COVID-19 (explained below)
- The Delta flight ticket (not applicable for Basic Economy tickets) falls under the airline’s no-cancellation fee policy:
- Your flight ticket is for travel within Puerto Rico, the United States, or USVI
- Your flight (including codeshare partners and joint venture flights) is from North America to any part of the world
- Your Delta flight is between the Caribbean and Mexico/ the United States
- You buy your ticket (all types) directly from Delta Airlines and cancel it within a day (24 hours) after the booking
- Delta Airlines cancels your flight
- The airline delays your flight by 120 hours or more
- You’ve bought a refundable ticket
- The traveler/ travel companion dies (Note: You have to provide supporting documentation for it.)
- You are a Diamond Medallion or Delta Platinum member with an award ticket
- You suddenly get a military deployment order (documentary proof is mandatory)
- Any special reason that prevents you from boarding the flight (solely at the discretion of the airline)
Note: The typical validity of a Delta e-Credit is of 1 year, but it has been extended up to December 31, 2023. It means you utilize your Delta e-Credit and rebook the flight ticket by Dec 31, 2023; and fly anytime on or before Dec 31, 2023.
If you bought your flight ticket with Delta Airlines during the COVID fare waiver before or on April 30, 2021:
- You are entitled to cancel any ticket (including Basic Economy) before departure without paying any penalty.
- Once you cancel the ticket, you will get an e-Credit equal to the full value of the canceled ticket.
- You must utilize the e-Credit while rebooking a new flight. The e-Credit’s validity period is generally 1 year from the issue date.
Note: On January 12, 2022, Delta declared that if you already have an e-Credit, you will get an extra year’s time to use it. So, all e-Credit holders can now rebook their flight tickets by 31st December 2023, for trips through 2024.
If you bought a Basic Economy flight ticket after April 30, 2021, with a journey date till December 31, 2023:
- You can make alterations to your Delta Airlines flight free of cost. Paying the flight change fee is mandatory.
- You cannot make cancellations.
- The Award Redeposit fee and the change fee have been eliminated for flight tickets bought in 2021 that start from the Caribbean and North America (not applicable for Basic Economy fares bought post April 30, 2021). Hence, you can cancel the award ticket to rebook it afterward without paying any change fee.
- The change and cancellation fee has been waived off by the airline for flights within the United States (provided you cancel/ change before the scheduled departure time).
- If you are canceling an award ticket that had expired in 2021, you will be able to utilize its unused value for buying a new flight ticket by 31st Dec 2022 (only the difference in fare will apply).
- It is possible to cancel Delta SkyMiles award tickets for domestic flights within the US without paying any charges (provided you cancel it before departure).
To cancel your award ticket for flights originating outside of the United States, you must pay USD 150 as a flat fee, irrespective of the destination and fare type. However, you must cancel it at least 72 hours prior to the departure. There is no cancellation fee for Diamond Medallion and SkyMiles Platinum members.
Note: When you cancel a flight ticket due to COVID, Delta doesn’t give the refund in the form of cash or transfer it to your bank account. The refund will be given in the form of e-Credit (Delta Credit) for future use.
24-Hour Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines
Does Delta Airlines offer a 24-hour Cancellation Policy?
24-hour risk-free cancellation of flight tickets is possible with Delta Airlines. It applies to all flight tickets you buy directly from the airline. As per this policy, passengers can cancel their ticket (irrespective of the fare type) within 24 hours after the booking and get a full refund.
Exceptions to the 24-hour cancellation policy of Delta
The 24-hour cancellation policy, will not apply to your Delta flight ticket if:
- You have booked it via a travel agency
- You have paper tickets
- Yours is a partially flown reissued flight ticket
For canceling a SkyMiles Award ticket, you have to contact Delta Reservations.
Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines for Medical Reasons
Can I cancel my Delta flight ticket because of a medical emergency?
The cancellation policy of Delta Airlines permits passengers to cancel their Delta flight booking due to medical emergencies/ reasons. This policy is for travelers who suddenly become sick before their journey and are unable to board the flight. However, you have to support your reason behind cancellation with proper documentation/ medical certificate. You also have to cancel the ticket before the flight departs.
Delta Airlines: Weather Cancellation Policy
What is the cancellation policy of Delta Airlines due to weather conditions?
Under the ticket cancellation policy of Delta Airlines, if a flight gets cancelled due to harsh/ extreme weather conditions, passengers will get a full refund for cancelling the flight or the one that the airline offers in its place.
Delta Airlines: Military Cancellation Policy
The Military Cancellation Policy of Delta Airlines is for military personnel. Under this policy, when military personnel gets a deployment order that stops him from boarding his flight, he will receive a complete refund from Delta Airlines after cancelling the ticket.
Delta Airlines: Award Ticket Cancellation Policy
Can I cancel a Delta Airlines Award Ticket, such as one booked with Miles?
Under the award ticket cancellation policy of Delta Airlines:
- Passengers can cancel award tickets for trips within the United States for free, before the departure of the flight
- Passengers must cancel award tickets that originate outside of the US at least 72 hours before the flight’s departure. The airline charges USD 150 as a flat rate for the cancellation, irrespective of the region and fare type. Diamond Medallion and SkyMiles Platinum members won’t have to pay the cancellation fee.
After the cancellation, the miles you used for booking your ticket will be re-deposited back into your account.
Delta Airlines: Basic Economy Tickets Cancellation Policy
About Delta Basic Economy Tickets Cancellation
The cancellation policy of Delta Airlines for Basic Economy tickets is as follows:
- Passengers cannot refund or cancel their Basic Economy tickets after the 24-hour grace period.
- You can cancel your Basic Economy ticket without penalty if you have purchased it before/ on April 30, 2021. You must cancel the booking before departure to receive an e-Credit equaling the full value of your fare. You have to redeem the e-Credit for rebooking a different flight within the e-Credit’s validity period (which has been extended by the airline till Dec 31, 2023). This means you can rebook the ticket by Dec 31, 2023 – and finish the travel by Dec 31, 2024.
Delta Airlines: Cancellation Fee
How much is Delta Airlines’ cancelation fee?
Delta Airlines determines the cancelation fee based on the type of ticket you’ve bought and your time of cancelation. These are the ticket types:
- Basic economy tickets (the most restrictive)
- Refundable tickets (the most flexible)
- Refundable tickets (some restrictions apply)
It is important to cancel the ticket before the departure of the flight. The following table delineates the cancelation fee and cancelation policy of Delta Airlines by cancellation period and fare type:
Note: When booking your flight ticket with Delta Airlines, you will typically get the following options:
- Comfort+ (non-refundable or refundable)
- Main (non-refundable or refundable)
- Delta One or First Class, depending on the type of aircraft (non-refundable and refundable)
How to cancel a flight on Delta Airlines?
How can I cancel a flight booking on Delta Airlines?
To cancel your booking on Delta Airlines:
- By phone
- Contact the travel agency that did the booking on your behalf
- Call + 1-844-933-2065
- Online or via Fly Delta (Delta’s mobile apply)
- At one of Delta’s sales counter
Online Cancellation of Flight Booking on Delta Airlines
Is it possible to cancel a flight booking on Delta Airlines’ official website?
If you booked your ticket directly from Delta Airlines (app, website, sales office, or call center), you can cancel the ticket online by following these steps:
- Visit Delta.com, the official site
- Click on the option ‘My Trips’
- Enter your Debit/ Credit Card number, ticket number, or confirmation number
- Write your last name and first name
- Take the help of the search button to find the flight you need to cancel
- Click on this option: ‘Modify Flight’
- Select ‘Start Flight Cancelation’
- You have successfully canceled your flight.
Cancelation of an Award Ticket on Delta Airlines
To cancel your Delta Award ticket, you have to log into the SkyMiles account. Retrieve the reservation, click the ‘Modify Flight’ button, and take the help of the self-explanatory prompts for canceling an award ticket conveniently. It might take several hours for the refunded Miles to get reflected in your account.
How to avoid paying cancelation charges on Delta Airlines’ flights?
Here are some tips to escape paying flight cancellation charges on Delta Airlines:
- Use the 24-hour risk-free policy of Delta Airlines. The 24-hour rule is applicable on all flights within the US. It gives you an opportunity to cancel a flight booking free of charge by doing it within 24 hours after the booking.
- You can buy a refundable fare. They are more expensive but offer you the flexibility to cancel the ticket later, and free of cost.
- Hold a Gold, Platinum, or Diamond Medallion membership. Delta Medallion Elite members get fee waivers on award flights, costing USD 150.
- Keep track of flight schedule changes. You may obtain a fee reduction or waiver for flight delays that exceed 2 hours, flight cancellations, and route changes. In such a situation, you will have the option to cancel or change your flight through email.
- Call + 1-844-933-2065 (Delta’s toll-free number in Canada and the U.S.) or the number relevant to your country/ city if you require advice on the free cancellation.
Delta Airlines: Refund Policy
What is the refund policy of Delta Airlines?
As per the refund policy of Delta Airlines, the specifics of your flight ticket (how and when you booked your ticket, your fare type, etc.) determine if you qualify for a refund. If your ticket is not a refundable one, you will get an e-Credit from Delta Airlines which you can utilize during future travel.
- 24-hour free cancellation and refunds: If you cancel your Delta ticket (irrespective of the fare type) within 24 hours after you’ve done the booking, you will get the refund amount issued to your form of payment. You simply have to cancel the ticket and you will automatically get the refund. After 24 hours, the refund depends on your ticket type and the medium of booking.
- Non-refundable tickets: If you have purchased a non-refundable ticket, you are entitled to get a cash refund. However, you can get e-Credit for the ticket’s remaining value (minus the cancellation charge, if any). You have to redeem the e-Credit before it expires while booking another flight ticket on Delta Airlines.
- Refundable tickets: When you buy a refundable ticket, you are free to cancel it anytime before the flight’s departure time. Booking a refundable ticket means you will get a full refund. Once you have canceled the ticket, place a Delta Refund Request to speed up the process.
Under Delta Airlines’ Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable flight tickets:
- The airline doesn’t charge any cancellation fee for flight tickets that fall under its ‘n no cancellation fee policy’ (not applicable for Basic Economy fares):
- Main Cabin and higher tickets for flights within Puerto Rico, the United States, and U.S.V.I.
- Main Cabin and higher tickets for flights originating in the U.S. and destined to anywhere around the globe, including flights monitored by codeshare partners and joint ventures.
- Main Cabin and higher tickets that operate between the Caribbean and Mexico/ the United States.
To get a refund for your Basic Economy ticket bought directly from Delta, you must do it within 24 hours. While most Basic Economy tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable, a Basic Economy passenger can cancel his ticket and get it refunded on most flights originating in Europe, Africa, and other international locations.
- USD 180 for flights from the Middle East, Africa, and India
- UER 150 for flights originating in different cities in Europe
Delta Airlines: Refund Request
How can I obtain a refund from Delta Airlines?
If you cancel your ticket within 24 hours, you can get a complete refund through Delta.com. Here are the simple steps:
- Visit Delta.com
- If you have an account, log in and choose ‘Find My Trips’. Travelers without a Delta account have to select ‘My Trips’
- Once you find the specific flight, hit the ‘Cancel Flight’ button
- Take the help of the self-explanatory prompts and submit your refund request.
Check Your Refund Status on Delta Airlines
Wondering how to track if you have received the refund from Delta Airlines?
- Refer to the ‘refund status’ page on Delta.com
- Enter the following details:
- Your full name
- Refund request number (mailed to you on your registered email id)
- Document/ ticket number
- Hit the ‘Continue’ button
Your refund status will be there on the screen.
Note: For a ticket purchased online, the refund will be processed within 7 business days. For cash purchases, the processing time is of 20 days.
How to Use Delta Credit earned after canceling a flight?
You should redeem your Delta Credit and use it while booking a new flight:
- Via your SkyMiles account
- Through the normal way (by paying with the e-Credit)
Steps to book via SkyMiles:
- Log in to your traveler’s account
- Open your Profile and the personal details page will be visible
- Click on this option: e-Credits & Vouchers
All your e-Credits and certificates (along with values, expiry dates, etc.) that you can utilize will appear on your screen. You have to:
- Select the voucher you wish to utilize for the new booking
- Book your flight
- Pay only the difference if you’ve booked the ticket in a costlier flight.
How to book normally and make the payment with e-Credits?
- Book your ticket as you generally do through the homepage
- Choose the preferred flight as per your trip plan
- Confirm the passenger details
- Proceed to the ‘Payments’ page. You will get multiple payment options. Choose: ‘Use e-Credit’
- Select the e-Credit that you’d like to redeem
- Finish the booking
Delta Airlines: Flight Cancellation Compensation?
Does Delta offer any compensation for a canceled flight?
If your Delta flight originates from the United States, or it fails to depart from an airport located in the European Union, as per U.S. laws Delta doesn’t have to compensate travelers for canceled or delayed flights.